Friday 6 August 2010

Getting ready for the Big Summer Declutter!

At last - permission to get rid of old toys

I've just spent the last three hours immersed in a job that I've been avoiding for months, the task of decluttering Little T's bedroom.   Oh the joys of negotiating with a 6 year old over which toys can be extracted from the floor and offered to a new home, let alone tidying away lots of annoying little bits and pieces that have become separated from each other over the years that have gone by.

But at last we've got a box full of kids' stuff to sell at the Radio Suffolk's Big Summer Declutter car boot sale that's taking place on Sunday for EACH's Treehouse Appeal which is raising £3,000,000 for a new children's hospice in Ipswich.

I'm really looking forward to this event and have already got a fine collection of stuff that I pulled together when I started to declutter the house at the beginning of the year.  My pitch has been booked for months and I can't wait to get down to Ipswich on Sunday and see how much I can raise from the proceeds, all of which I'm planning to donate to the Treehouse Appeal. It's my choice to donate the funds, it's not an actual requirement of the car boot sale.  However I'm not sure if I can convince the kids to do the same, parting with their stuff will be tough enough!

Anyway the declutter's not over yet.  I haven't even ventured into the loft yet but can't wait to get the loft ladder down.  Can you tell I'm starting to really enjoy this process?

So, if you're in Suffolk and looking for a fun event on Sunday, do pop along to the Big Summer Declutter and come and say hello.  It would be great if you end up booking a pitch yourself.  Set up is at 6.30am, with sales starting at 7am and going on until 3pm.  During the course of the day, there promises to be lots of entertainment too,  BBC Radio Suffolk will  be broadcasting live and auctioning off the Ashes to Ashes script that I managed to acquire from the production company and Nik Kershaw will be on-hand to officially open the event.  It will be brilliant if EACH manages to break through the £1,000,000 milestone as a result of the day!


So, please pray for good weather and if you fancy coming along, more information can be found at the BBC Radio Suffolk website.

4 comments:

cartside said...

I love to declutter and pass on. I did something like it last night, though we're currently at the "it's getting more clutter before it gets better" stage. With toys I can only do it secretively, so far daughter is unable to let go of anything.

Almost Mrs Average said...

I'm totally bowled over that I was able to extract all these bits and pieces. Of course I'm expecting him to recover them before I get them in the boot LOL :-)

Scott Eco said...

We are moving house and getting rid of many of the kids toys, unwanted Xmas presents....they're the worst! And there are so many of them! We are now in the process of substituting each unwanted toy for an eco friendly kids toy alternative...the kids love it!

Almost Mrs Average said...

Great news Scott and good luck with the move ;0)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin